Skip to content
How are the complaints investigated?
- Your Complaint will be sent to a superior officer, or a specially trained internal affairs investigator, who will conduct a thorough and objective investigation. If the complaint alleges minor violations of departmental policies or procedures or the complaint alleges acts of discourtesy, the complaint will be forwarded through the chain of command to the member’s immediate supervisor for an investigation.
- You might be asked to help in the investigation by giving a detailed statement about what happened or providing other important information.
- All complaints against law enforcement officers are thoroughly investigated. You will be advised in writing of the outcome.
- If our investigation shows that a crime might have been committed, the county prosecutor will be notified. You might be asked to testify in court.
- If our investigation results in an officer being charged with a violation of department rules or regulations, you might be asked to testify in a departmental hearing.
- If our investigation shows that the complaint is unfounded or that the officer acted properly, the matter will be closed.
- All disciplinary hearings shall be closed to the public unless the defendant officer requests an open hearing.
Share This Event!