Mullica Township is located in the Northeast portion of Atlantic County, in the New Jersey Pinelands. The Township has a total area of 56.58 square miles. It is bounded on the north by Washington Township in Burlington County; on the east by the City of Egg Harbor; on the south by Hamilton Township; and on the west by the Town of Hammonton.
Mullica Township’s population is 6,147. Mullica Township had a population of 5912 in 2000 — 104.5 persons per square mile. Of the 2000 population, 4764 were white, 371 black, 16 Native American, 49 Asian, 7 Pacific Islanders, 196 were of two or more races, and 509 were “other”. The Hispanic population was 975. The Township experiences a population bulge due to an influx of migrant workers during the harvest season. The median age in Mullica Township is 39.9 years.
Form of Government
The form of government in the Township of Mullica has been established as the Committee Form. The Township is governed by a committee consisting of five elected members – each of whom serves a three-year term. The mayor is selected each year by the Committee, and presides over the meetings.
Children from the Township attend the Mullica Township School District which services Pre-Kindergarten through 8th Grade. For more information please contact the school:
Mullica Township Schools
500 Elwood Road
Elwood, NJ 08217
Children in the 9th-12th grades attend Cedar Creek High School, part of the Greater Egg Harbor Regional School District. For more information, please contact the school:
Cedar Creek High School
1701 New York Avenue
Egg Harbor City, NJ 08215
The Township is served by both Hammonton (08037 zip codes) and Egg Harbor City (08251 zip codes). The Elwood Post Office is used for PO Box delivery only (08217 zip code).
Elwood Post Office hours. The Lobby is open from 8:00 am – 6:00 pm
Window Hours: Open 10:15 am – 1:15 pm and 1:45 pm – 4:45 pm Closed 1:15 pm – 1:45 pm
Mullica Township officially came into existence at a meeting held at Pleasant Mills on February 21, 1838. Formed from the western section of Galloway Township, Mullica originally included the greater part of the Town of Hammonton and a portion of Egg Harbor City. The township and its famous river were officially named after Eric Mullica, a Swedish plantation owner who lived in Lower Bank during the seventeenth century. He later moved to Mullica Hill. The Elwood section of the Township was first called Weymouth Station. However, in order to have a post office, the name was changed to Elwood after Elwood Matlack. There are still historically significant areas remaining in the township, some dating back to the early 1700’s.
The Paper Mill
Built in 1763 by Elijah Clark, the Paper Mill originally served as a warehouse for smugglers. William McCarthy purchased the mill in 1832, and began manufacturing butcher paper. By 1985, the mill was producing nearly a ton of paper each day. In its long history the mill has been a wool reclaiming mill, cotton mill, and theatre playhouse. The mill was rebuilt in 1880 and is still standing as of today. On March 3, 1995 it was entered onto the National Register of Historic Places.
Kate Aylesford Mansion
Still a private residence today, the Kate Aylesford Mansion was built in 1762 by Elijah Clark during the American Revolution. The mansion was named for the fictitious heroine in Charles Peterson’s book, “The Heiress of Sweetwater”. The book was written about the American Revolution, and is set in South Jersey, specifically in and around Pleasant Mills, Batsto and Sweetwater.
Indian Cabin Mill Inn
This Inn was built in “New Columbia”, known today as Nesco. History records it as the place where the outlaw Joe Mulliner was captured in 1781. No longer an inn, it is now a private residence.
St. Mary’s Cemetery
The oldest Catholic cemetery in South Jersey, it was also the site of a wooden frame church built in 1827. Catholic workers at the Batsto Furnace and Iron Works built the church on the land donated by their employer, Jesse Richards. St. Mary’s of the Assumption, also known as St. Mary’s in the Pines, was the first Catholic Church in what is now known as Atlantic County. The last church service was held was in December of 1860. It was boarded up in 1865, and completely abandoned in 1885. The church itself was destroyed in April of 1900 by a forest fire, but the graveyard with its thirty-five headstones dating back to 1835 remains. The last burial was in 1906. The cemetery is the final resting place for many of the Revolutionary War-era workers from Batsto and that of Franz and Mary Froehlinger, parents of the late Joseph Fralinger, originator of the famous Fralinger’s Salt Water Taffy.
Pleasant Mills Batsto Church & Cemetery
Elijah Clark built the Pleasant Mills Batsto Church in 1763. This log cabin structure was known as Clark’s meeting House. The present wood building replaced the original cabin in 1808, and was dedicated by Reverend Francis Asbury, the first Methodist Bishop of the United States. The Batsto Church attracted a number of well known preachers: David Brainerd, John Brainerd, Dr. Charles Pitman (for which Pitman was named), and Reverend Philip Fithian. Reverend Fithian, a Presbyterian minister who was one of the “Indians” in the famous Greenwich tea burning party of the Revolution, mentions preaching at the “Clark’s Log Meeting House” in his journals. Resting in the cemetery is Simon Lucas, one of the church’s most colorful trustees, and William and Jesse Richards of the Batsto Iron Family. Also among those buried there are Captain Jack Van Dyke, Revolutionary War privateer, and Master of the brigantine “Gypsy Lane”.
Hilda S. Frame Schoolhouse
Built in the Nesco section of the township in 1900, this schoolhouse was named after Hilda S. Frame in appreciation of her life-long service in educating the Township’s children. The building is currently being used by the Mullica Historical Society.
Gertrude Lauer School
This schoolhouse was erected in 1910, and is named after a much-loved schoolteacher of the Township. It is affectionately known as the “little red schoolhouse”. Before being named after Mrs. Lauer, it was simply called the Agriculture School.
The subject of a book published in 1919 by Victor F. Hammell, Amatol was built in the year 1918 by the Atlantic Loading Company. Construction began on this Government Loading Plant in March, and ended with the armistice in November. A World War I enterprise, Amatol was a large munitions plant, with accompanying employee housing, designed to supply twenty-five percent of all shells needed by the U.S. Army Ordnance Department. The name Amatol came from the mixture of TNT and ammonium nitrate, with which shells were packed. The mixture was known as amatol. The entire 6,000 acres was purchased from Mr. Daniel Frazier of Hammonton. The tract was located between East Hammonton and Elwood, along Route 30 and extended northeast to Columbia Road in Nesco and southeast between the Elwood-Weekstown Road and Elwood-Pleasant Mills Road. During the short construction period, Railroad tracks were laid, loading sheds and coal trestles built, and water tanks erected. A “Town Site” was built consisting of more than a hundred dwellings, a theatre, market, central heating plant, electric current, water supply and a sewerage system. State
This building was built in 1916-1917 and is the last visible evidence of Amatol. Its original purpose was to serve as the administration building for the Atlantic Loading Company at Amatol. It is now known as the Hammonton Barracks, which housed the New Jersey State Police Barrack A. This site is now vacant.